Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bus No. 166

Over the past 10 plus years this Bus has been more than a lifeline to me.
Remember taking this bus till Ring Road when I was in school. When I used to come back home on vacation during college days I used to commute to Karol Bagh and Connaught Place in this bus.
Today, to go to work I rely heavily on this bus to drop me off at C.P.
The frequency of the bus i great and it is generally on time. The race between a DTC and a Private Carrier on this route is a sight to behold.
The conductors and drivers are super fun sometimes and come up with great jokes and one liners
" DTC aa rahi hai peeche, kheech ke le zarra" (DTC is right behind, step on the gas will ya) is something I hear on a daily basis.
I remember a few incidents that make me laugh even now.
A lady wanted to get down at the Ashoka Garden stop and got into an argument with the conductor as he was not willing to stop there.
Lady to the Conductor: "Bhaiya tab se bol rahi hoon, aap rokte kyon nahi.Rok dijiye"
The driver intervenes and says to the lady:"Madam ji, usse kya jhagad rahe ho,Brake to mere pass hai"

2 comments:

Angelic said...

166 drivers r alwayz in hurry,lot of competition from 157...also thy never use to stop at ashoka garden and make u walk all the way.

Itinerant said...

Angelic

You have been away from here for too long.The route number 157 does not exist anymore.
A few years back they changed the route of the bus.It used to go via Wazir pur JJ colony, Bunkar and then onto Bharat Nagar.
But even this did not result in a good patronage and hence they withdrew the buses plying on this route.There is just 1 DTC bus that runs now, i think.